Ufadhili Trust is an independent, non-profit, support organization founded in 2001 under the Public Trusts Act (Laws of Kenya). Ufadhili exists primarily to promote social responsibility in East Africa. Our work is based around four thematic areas namely; Responsible governments, responsible businesses, responsible organizations and responsible citizenry thematic area.
In 1998, the Ford Foundation East Africa Office commissioned work to explore the idea of self-reliance and community-led and resourced development. This work was occasioned by the need to reduce dependence on foreign aid. Called the Africa Philanthropy Initiative (API), the work involved research, focused discussions and debate on sustainability of development efforts by stakeholders throughout Africa. The efforts resulted in to important ideas, initiatives and institutions. Among these institutions was Ufadhili Trust.
East Africans in control of their development.
Ufadhili Trust exists to promote social responsibility of governments, corporations, organizations and individuals in East Africa through capacity building, advocacy, networking, research and technical support so as to ensure a just and equitable society.
Our Strategic Objectives
Ufadhili’s mandate will be realized by focusing on four strategic objectives;
- Facilitate and advocate for an environment that enhances participatory governance and democracy
- Entrench corporate social responsibility within the corporate sector in East Africa
- Harness community resources more effectively for sustainable development and
- Strengthen the organizational governance and operational capacity of Ufadhili Trust.
Ufadhili aims to be the organization that East Africans seek for guidance, capacity building, training and information in matters of social responsibility, local resource mobilization, volunteering, philanthropy and corporate social responsibility. Ufadhili believes that East Africa has abundant resources [internal and external] but the key challenge is how we mobilize, manage and use these resources.
Our Core Values
- Partnership: Ufadhili believes strongly that changing our society requires the concerted participation and partnership of civil society, business and the public sector. It facilitates partnerships in a manner that recognizes the value and the importance of each sector. The organization value participation and collaboration with others who share the vision.
- Transparency: The organisation will be accountable to all stakeholders. Ufadhili’s work and record will be open to the scrutiny of stakeholders and of the general public as is consistent with proper regard for the confidentiality of private information.
- Social Justice: Ufadhili recognizes the injustices that exist in our society and therefore is a means to bringing about social justice and safeguarding the dignity of all.
- Reciprocity: As an organization Ufadhili shall treat all partners and stakeholders with the respect desired.
- Knowledge: Ufadhili values learning and knowledge. The organization’s actions will be based upon the most complete and relevant information gathered and it shall strive to share with partners’ information and knowledge that exists within the organization.